Willing Workers on Local Farms
WWOLF (Willing Workers on Local Farms) gathers ‘packs’ of volunteers from the community to spend a day working on a local farm. In exchange for helping out with farm chores and various projects, farmers prepare and share a meal with the volunteers that is made with their very own farm fresh products.
If you are interested in participating in WWOLF please join our mailing list (fill out the “Sign Up For Our Newsletter” form in the footer) and keep your eye on Central Oregon Locavore News. Children are welcome, but must be supervised at ALL times!
Join us on Sunday, October 10 from 9am to 1pm for a community potato harvest at Casad Family Farms. Central Oregon Locavore and High Desert Food & Farm Alliance are teaming up for a potato gleaning event in Madras. All produce harvested will be distributed through NeighborImpact, our local food bank network of over 50 food access agencies. Volunteers can also take potatoes home as a thank you for all your hard work! To learn more, and register, click here! Email Rachel@hdffa.org if you have any questions.
Close out the farming season at Rainshadow Organics on Friday, October 15 from 9am to 1pm. We will be helping to put the farm to bed for the season as we wrap up WWOLF-ing for the year. Register to lend a helping hand here.
How it Works
- Meet at the farm at the designated start time
- Tour of projects and split into work groups
- Break for lunch around noon
- Return to work until finished
- A light lunch will be provided
What to Bring
- Work gloves and your favorite hand tool
- Closed-toe shoes
- Clothing for the weather
- Hat and sunscreen
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Face mask for times when 6-foot distance is not possible
What to Expect
- Good clean (dirty) fun, new friends and local connections, a deep sense of personal satisfaction, and a boots-on-the-ground education about local farming practices
- Work at your own pace. Be prepared to sweat, but we also want you to enjoy yourself. Take rest breaks as needed
- Children are welcome, but they must be supervised at all times
- As much as we love our furry friends, dogs are not allowed
- Just so we don’t catch you by surprise, we will ask that you sign a waiver before participating in the work event. Waivers will be available at the farm